Monday, July 7, 2008

Album Review:Lil Wayne "Tha Carter 3"

Ok I think I finally made up my mind on the album.
I should start this by stating I think there are some straight up, dope songs on the album. That includes "Dr. Carter", "Don't Shoot Me Down"(My personal favorite), "Tie My Hands", "A Milli", "Mr. Carter", and "Comfortable." Some of the production was kinda off, and I don't know, Lil Wayne just lacks content. Simile this, metaphor that isn't that great at all the time. It fits great within a concept, as shown in the Katrina-inspired "Tie my Hands" and "Dr. Carter." "Dr. Carter" has a really fresh, organic beat that rises to the occassion when necessary...Swizz killed that one! And the concept was entertaining and purposeful, I don't know if I can say that abotu his singles or a lot of the filler on the record. However, Lil Wayne with content has shown flashes of briliance. For the most part, he really has no content and I get kinda bored. Thankfully for him, a million people likely disagree. Now this "A Millie" joint is a good track and the beat is fierce, but people need to calm down with how hot it is. "Grindin" from The Clipse, still outdoes this beat ten to one in my opinion.
To put it plainly, do you see this album on the level of "illmatic"? That answer is likely no, and might be an unfair comparison. Still when I think classic and hopefully when most people throw that around, this album will not come to mind. He needs to lay off the cough syrup / codeine / coke / whatever. However, Wayne has shown that he can spit bars. The whole "To the left, to the left. If you wanna leave, be my guess you can step, thinking you are irreplacable listening to beyonce, I put your ass out on your B-day" (not perfectly quoted), is just fire. my lord.

No comments: