Friday, January 8, 2010

Tech: Fiyah Powa: VQ35 Spark Plug Install

Photobucket


I'm a old school Toyota guy for a reason, now don't get me wrong I like other Makes like Nissan and Honda(depends lol) but when working on those "other" cars I realize how lucky I am to be a Toyota Owner. I mean for me theres nothing easier than working on genuine Japanese reliable parts from underneath the hoods found on many Toyotas. Not to take away from the craftsmanship from other makers. Point is the average "Sunday Mechanic" can get his hands dirty and change his own oil and spark plugs under an 1 hour on most old school Toyotas. You see where i'm going with this? yea when I had a task like the '06 Nissan Murano S put in front of me, I was all for it. (infamous VQ35 motor found in a 350z) So when I was asked to change the spark plugs I was like sure, how hard could it possibly be? Than I realized, I don't even dont know what it looks like underneath that hood. Yea talk about NO space to work with. I have problems with that on most newer vehicles and the need for sooo many plastic shields and covers. UGH! Than to make matters worse I did research and found out it was a 2.5 hour job! REALLY?! for spark plugs? LOL I love the VQ35 but, Fuck.

So all you Murano and VQ35 motor (02-03 maxima, 350z) owners out there heres a step by step on what to do and how to do it.(read before buying anything!) ThanK Me Laters.

1. Obtain replacement lower intake manifold gasket and 6 NGK PLFR5A-11 spark plugs.
2. Wait until engine is cool.
3. To gain access to the rear of the intake manifold, the upper cowl first needs to be removed.
a. Remove caps from left and right windshield wiper arms.
b. Place tape on windshield marking where the wiper blades make contact with the windshield.
c. Loosen and remove the nuts the hold the wiper arms.
d. Remove the wiper arms.
e. Remove rubber strip from on upper cowling, it is held on by plastic tabs that can be pulled straight up and out.
f. Remove both left and right plastic cowling covers, disconnecting washer hoses from both.
g. Remove bolts that secure the lower cowling cover string from passenger side, then remove the cowling itself.
4. Remove engine cover.
5. Remove Intake Manifold Collector
a. Remove air cleaner air duct
b. Disconnect vacuum hose and water hose from intake manifold collector (3).
c. Disconnect EVAP canister purge volume control solenoid valve (12) mounting bolt from intake manifold collector (11).
d. Remove Vacuum tank (9) from intake manifold collector (11)
e. Disconnect power steering hose bracket
f. Remove top 2 bolts from intake manifold support bracket (15)
g. Remove PCV hose (between rocker cover and intake manifold collector)
h. Remove Harness bracket (5) from intake manifold.
i. Remove VIAS control solenoid valve from intake manifold
j. Loosen intake manifold bolts in reverse order from illustration.
k. Gently lift up and remove intake manifold
6. Replace intake manifold gasket (10).
7. Repeat for each plug:
a. Remove ignition coil from over plug.
b. Remove spark plug using 16MM spark plug wrench
c. Replace plug with: NGK PLFR5A-11 Standard Gap: 1.1 mm (0.043 in) nominal. Or same numbered plug as OEM.
8. Reassemble in reverse order and torque to spec.

No comments: